I apologize I haven’t been posting for some time now. I also apologize I interrupted the “Too Busy not to Pray” Series, to talk about patience today.
The topic of “patience” has been hitting me really hard these days, so I decided that I’ll read a bit and see what God has to say!
“But you, O man of God … pursue … patience.” (1 Timothy 6:11)
So I started off reading an article for St. Augustine called On Patience :
He defined patience saying:
“The patience of man, which is right and laudable (or admirable) and worthy of the name of virtue, is understood to be that by which we tolerate evil things with an even mind, that we may not with a mind uneven desert good things, through which we may arrive at better.”
It’s a bit unclear, in other words:
- One should not give up, however much s/he suffers.
- Tolerating pain and believing that God is able, is a virtue.
- One’s belief in God’s ability should not weaken however long the trial.
After the trial, my faith in Him will increase because I have seen his ability and how the problem ended, and as a result, “from the fullness of His grace we have all received one blessing after another” (John 1:16). That’s two blessings! One blessing for tolerating and the other blessing for our faith increasing.
I pray that God would give me patience, and to give all those who are in need.
I would really love to read what you guys have to say. Think of these verses:
- “By your patience possess your souls.” (Luke 21:19)
- “But let patience have its perfect work, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking nothing” (James 1:4)
- “We wait in hope for the LORD; he is our help and our shield.” (Psalm 33:20)
- “I wait for you, O LORD; you will answer, O Lord my God.” (Psalm 38:15)
- “How long must your servant wait?” (Psalm 119:84)